[opendtv] IP Vision submits Canvas complaint to Ofcom

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 18:36:44 -0500

Didn't we just get this same sort of reaction from Virgin, another walled
graden, against the unwalled FOTI Project Canvas?

It's not easy to make the case that FOTI would stymie innovation, although it
is very easy to make the case that FOTI will no doubt be more problematic for
the end user.

Heh. heh. Glad to see that reactions across the pond are the same as they would
be here, if anyone had to brass to put together a Project Canvas, that is.

Bert

------------------------------
http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=3851

IP Vision submits Canvas complaint to Ofcom

IP Vision has formally complained to Ofcom, asking it to examine whether the
Canvas joint venture will 'stifle industry innovation, inhibit competition and
ultimately restrict consumer choice.'

Eddie Abrams, IP Vision's CEO, said: "As a leader in this nascent sector in the
UK, we are all in favour of healthy competition that benefits both the industry
and consumers. However, this group of industry Goliaths, supported in part by
BBC licence fee funds, will have the power to dominate the sector-even though
what Canvas will offer will not be superior to solutions already on the market.
Surely this can't be good for the UK television industry or for the consumer?"

Abrams continued: "As well as requesting a level playing field for IP Vision
and other young, innovative companies in this space, we believe that by
questioning the validity of the Canvas joint venture, we are also championing
the consumer. If Project Canvas rolls out as intended, market competition,
consumer choice and technology and commercial innovation will be stymied. The
consumer will end up paying the price of an uncompetitive market in the form of
restricted content, service and technology choice. For that reason, we have
asked Ofcom to review whether the Canvas joint venture is in breach of the
Competition Act 1998."

A statement from Project Canvas said: "Project Canvas will discuss the grounds
of any complaint by IP Vision with Ofcom. Our proposals remain unchanged and
will create an open standards-based internet connected TV environment that will
deliver the best results for consumers; giving them the greatest choice of
devices, content services and applications within a competitive market. We
remain focused on this goal."

DTG Staff 18.08.2010