[opendtv] Re: IEEE 1901(tm) Broadband Power Line Standard for 500 Mbps Communications Approved

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 07:48:06 -0400

 c. Install a powerline to Wi-Fi bridge in several locations in the hotel so
 that guests can utilize the WiFi capabilities that are built into their PC
 (or for some older PCs added on).

The more direct route is to delete the WiFi step entirely, and build powerline modems into any Internet appliance that has a power plug.

That's why I thought that comment was so odd.

Following up on my comment to Kon.

The issue here is how the consumer wants to use that appliance. If it must be plugged in to have network access, the required tethering may be viewed in a negative manner by the consumer.

As I already mentioned, many iPAD users enjoy using the device in bed. When I eventually buy one I expect to put it on the coffee table in front of the big screen where I sometimes use my notebook computer, and frequently use my iPhone. To be honest, I have an extension cord stashed under the couch so that I can plug in my laptop, but this is primarily due to the fact that I need to replace the battery as I am only getting an hour or two on a charge now. The new Macbook Air notebooks that Apple just introduced get 5 and 7 hours respectively and the iPad gets up to 10 hours using WiFi connectivity; tethering these devices is a step backwards.

It seems that the real benefit of the IEEE powerline standard is to connect devices that are ALWAYS on like thermostats, refrigerators, and other appliances. Maybe even the big screen TV.
And there is still a sizeable market for desktop PCs, which are always on.

And, as indicated in the article you posted, it can be used in combination with WiFI to easily provide networking in larger building without having to pull wires to each WiFi node.

I just don't see much benefit in incorporating this with mobile devices that will have WiFi built in.