[opendtv] Re: I don't mean to be rotten but economics has done it in for US DTV and the schoolboy bullies on this reflector...

  • From: Steve Wilson <stevenjwilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 11:04:13 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 7:59 PM +1300 12/16/06, Barry Wilkins wrote:
Regarding H.264 for HDTV via DVB-T, I understand that TVNZ (New Zealand) are about to utilize MPEG4 on our soon to be established DTTV platform for (presumably more channels of) SDTV via DVB-T in the new year. What other countries are utilizing MPEG4/H.264 for SDTV right now?

It is or soon will be used by a number of systems in the U.S., but not by ATSC broadcasters other than USDTV, which announced an H.264 adapted at NAB, and plans for a new STB that should be release about now.
I thought USDTV was gone, but now I see they are back in business. I am almost afraid to ask, does anyone known whether signal reception at customer premises was a big problem for them.

DirecTV is using H.264 in new STBs to deliver HDTV and I believe that they will use H.264 for SDTV to add more markets for local into local. Dish Networks is also migrating to H.264, presumably for HD programming first.

I believe that all mobile TV operators will use H.264, but this may be for "less" than SDTV quality.

Apple is using H.264 for video downloads from the iTunes store at 640 x 480 resolution (progressive scan), although widescreen material is encoded at 640 x XXX lines (square pixel) based on the actual aspect ratio - IMHO this is generally better than SDTV quality, but not quite 24P DVD quality.
Vongo is also H.264 (Windows VC1 actually)