[opendtv] Re: I don't mean to be rotten but economics has done it in for US DTV and the schoolboy bullies on this reflector...

  • From: "Hughes Gary-DJWV76" <ghughes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:30:19 -0500

I wasn't trying to start a codec war, merely trying to clarify an
ambiguous statement and hopefully get some hard data on what Vongo is
really doing.

H.264 and VC1 are different video codecs. Both set out to tackle a
similar problem space, but they are very different in detail and syntax.
Neither is a subset or superset of the other.

Neither specifies a file format, although there are related standards
that do (MPEG-4 parts 12 and 15 for H.264 in an MPEG environment, ASF
for VC1 in a WMV environment).

Neither specifies a streaming format. Both can be carried in MPEG
transport streams, for example.

Neither specifies a DRM system. I don't know of any DRM system that is
tied to a specific video codec, but I don't claim to be an expert on
DRM. Obviously the MS DRM can be applied to WMV9 content, but it is also
being used, for example, on H.264 content carried in MPEG transport.

This may seem like trifling detail, but it is the difference between
working and not working in my business.

gary

Gary Hughes
Video Architect, Advanced Engineering
Motorola On Demand Solutions, MA34
80 Central St.
Boxborough, MA  01719
Email: ghughes@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Office: 978 266 7269

________________________________

                        From: opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                        [mailto:opendtv-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Steve Wilson
                        Vongo is also H.264 (Windows VC1 actually)

                So which is it? They are not the same thing.

        I didn't mean to debate 264 vs VC1.  VC1 is based on the 264
tools as far as my understanding goes....they may have their own video
codec swizzle - I dont know.   I use 264 to generically describe the
video codec and VC1 to mean Microsofts version which is accurate I
think.

        The didnt tell me directly, but I have gleened from
investigating that their video is H264 codec and Windows DRM - from
their I leaped to VC1.

        I am interested to understand how 264 and VC1 are different
beyond DRM, audio and file format that VC1 specifies.

                We're seeing a lot of pull for H.264 from the telco/IPTV
side.
                Originally I think the motivator was the ability to send
2 or more
                entertainment quality SD streams down one xDSL line. Now
it has become
                part of the zeitgeist. Like whats-her-name says on the
DirecTV HD ad, "I
                totally don't know what that means, but I want it".