[opendtv] Re: I don't mean to be rotten but economics has done it in for US DTV and the schoolboy bullies on this reflector...

  • From: "Barry Wilkins" <barry.barrywilkins@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 19:59:43 +1300

Regarding H.264 for HDTV via DVB-T, I understand that TVNZ (New Zealand) are
about to utilize MPEG4 on our soon to be established DTTV platform for
(presumably more channels of) SDTV via DVB-T in the new year. What other
countries are utilizing MPEG4/H.264 for SDTV right now?

Happy Christmas folks.

Barry Wilkins

On 12/16/06, Dermot Nolan <dermot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi boys, girls and lurkers (myself mostly nowadays....)

I don't mean to be rotten BUT I don't have a problem here.The debate on
opendtv about ATSC/8VSB/COFDM etc is largely sterile and conducted by the
same few protagonists with the same predictable vituperative exchanges (JW,
BM, BM etc increasingly nasty, immature and silly to each other). And it is
so f*************ing boring.

ATSC has lost commercially, strategically and technically. Nobody is
interested in buying ATSC STBs in the US, outside the US (pace Canada,
Mexico which are border states to the US), the business model has failed,
and we will probably see NTSC carry on for many a long day. Elsewhere the
plethora of COFDM systems (DVB-T, ISDB-T, T-DMB, DAB-IP. DVB-H, MediaFLO
(carrying on the US tradition of pioneering OFDM), etc are doing very
nicely...

It is clear, in spades, apart from to the usual Don Quixote windmill
tilters on opendtv that ATSC/8VSB/the current US DTV business model is now
the perfect trainwreck. And so completely over commercially.

The real issues for a viable OTA DTV service are:

a) Compelling content
b) Systems which work out of the box rather than engineering trainsets
which might or might not work in the indeterminate future
c) Business models with consumer appeal. These tend to be free.
d) Comprehensive differentiation from cable + DBS through unique leverage
of OTA distribution. That means no rotors, portable, mobile etc...

Outside the US this has been achieved in spades in many countries. The
evidence is overwhelming and the common component is, quite naturally,
xOFDM.  Of course there are some who will never learn until the NTSC
customer is cutoff in his prime.

Kind Regards and compliments of the season,

Dermot Nolan

the dn watching H264 HDTV DVB-T on his laptop for $100 with 28dB SNR in a
heavily multipathed area...
d)

Dermot Nolan
Director