[opendtv] Re: How To Define HD-SDI (and MXF)

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 08:53:48 -0800

"The recent specs on MXF files are a joke.  Pages and pages describing 10
different ways to do the same thing."  -Richard C. Ramsden

I am finding this out.  We have lots of software that is supposed to use
MXF to interchange files between them.  However, even when one tries to
carefully get the codecs and parameters aligned, they are still
incompatible.  I was under the impression that MXF was supposed to help
this out but it doesn't appear to do so with the systems I'm working with
(Digital Rapids, Sorenson Squeeze, Avid Media Composer, Adobe Encore,
AvidDVD by Sonic, others.)

A person from Avid who was helping me to get all of it to work together
told me MXF was supposed to help all the interchanges but is proving to be
ineffective.

I brought in experts from each of the companies, some at our expense, to
sit down together to come up with solutions.  We spent several days trying
to do so.  So far the only exchanges that are working are the work-arounds
I have come up with, and it usually involves a transcode at each export and
at each import using a very low compressed format.  That means a whole lot
of time, processing cycles and storage wasted.

(Lesson learned: don't use a long-GOP format as your in-house working
format unless you are only using one software solution to do everything.
But I doubt there is one piece of software that does everything, so go with
an intra-frame format.)

I have not doubt that this isn't an issue with the technical aspects of the
specifications but is an issue with how each software code writer
interprets the specification.  If the specification is not clear and
concise enough to convey the specifications and tolerance, it becomes
inept.

Dan