[opendtv] Re: How Many In US Use ATSC?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 18:18:21 -0600

Bob Miller wrote:

> I find it hilarious that broadcasters now express shock
> that the issue is on the table. The only surprise to me is
> that it happened so soon after analog shutdown. I thought
> it would take a year or two.

Yeah, I agree with both your points. IMO the reason is that this is the FCC
under new leadership, and this new leadership is single-mindedly focused on the
broadband initiative.

But I also think that the term "broadcasters" has been changing quite a bit, as
the TV networks have been divesting themselves of their OTA assets. So it would
be nice if the new OTA broadcasters were given a chance to show whether or not
they will use the DTV medium effectively. (And, to repeat, we also need some
new data points on consumer habits that might have changed.)