[opendtv] Re: How Do I Keep My Favorite Shows?

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OPENDTV" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 15:13:33 -0700

Craig wrote in reply:
It is not going to happen, but broadcasting would die rather quickly if
the MVPDs pulled the plug and broadcasters had to rely on homes with
antennas.

But, my reply was to this argument:
2. (what) If the MVPD did not exist?
The dynamic is significantly different under that scenario, clearly viewers
would then have no source other than FOTA.

The reality is that the MPVDs do exist and they do utilize and benefit from
broadcast carriage. Would they not suffer significantly were they to "pull
the plug on broadcasters" and isn't that why "It is not going to happen"?
They receive fair value for these programming purchases.

Dale