[opendtv] Re: How Do I Keep My Favorite Shows?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 07:50:02 -0400

At 2:15 PM -0400 8/20/10, Mark A. Aitken wrote:
No matter...the boomerang will come back to this...content is king. And based on a focus group study that I have been attending (Mobile DTV related)... LOCAL is what most (not all) people are looking for. LOCAL TV is king...

This certainly fits with other trends happening around the country.

Locally produced food and beer are starting to become a big deal. We (Swamp Head) are in a growing number of major restaurant chains that were once dominated by the big three - AB, Coors, Miller. We just went on at TGI Fridays and Ruby Tuesday. We are also in a group called Bonefish Grill that is advertising they serve beer from local breweries and several BJ's restaurants in Florida.

BJ's is a brewery/restaurant that started in California; the beer for their Florida locations is contract brewed in Texas. We just learned that our Big Nose IPA is their top selling beer in Gainesville, outselling their own portfolio.

Another restaurant in town is serving all the local meat and produce they can procure. They have a water buffalo burger that goes great with our IPA.

If Mark's focus groups are correct, then the move to mobile "might" be a turning point for local TV. But this is only likely to happen if stations put significant resources into creating local content of interest.

People don't need to look far to find the content from the congloms; FOTA, cable, DBS, the Internet, and packaged media.

Still I wonder if people will support local content. Historically, other than news/weather/sports, local shows have struggled. But radio is thriving with localism, so the TV guys may take a look at what they are doing right.

I am reminded of how the marketing types sometimes get these focus groups wrong; most often by asking the wrong questions. The banking industry did focus groups before they introduced ATMs. The marketing folks told the industry not to do it; that people wanted to deal with a real person. not a machine. If the marketing folks had asked: "Would you like 24/7 access to your money," they would have come up with the right answer.