[opendtv] Re: How Do I Keep My Favorite Shows?

  • From: "James Cole" <colejd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 10:56:24 -0400

I find the message a bit miss leading with a good slant to the group that
runs the website, NAB. (That's why it's there, right?)

One can read between many other lines here.

1. If I receive the FOTA signals via cable or any other MVPD, then I am
supporting the local weather and news. If I am receiving the signal via
antenna, then I am leaching on the backs of those who pay for cable.

2. If the MVPD did not exist, and paid for the right to carry its signal,
then there would be no local weather or news. Otherwise, how would the local
station generate money to pay for programming prior to 1992?

I find the spin factor of this article(?) fun. The facts start with...

1.  CATV started because OTA could not reach many people on the other side
of the mountains or that were too far away. Stations were gleeful, more
viewers = more ad money
2. When cable became the primary delivery option in the homes of many
potential viewers, the station owners were demanding carriage.
3. When stations realized that cable programming was beginning to rob them
of their ad dollars in lost viewers, they wanted compensation.

I'll bet dollars to donuts, that if Cablevision did not renew and dropped
ABC from NYC, it would suffer a short time backlash, but ABC would lose the
most and come crawling back with a Must Carry order.

This article does not mention the right for the stations to demand Must
Carry or channel placement (kind of moot with PSIP now). I guess that would
add another line the reader could read between.

In my opinion, if the FOTA station wants compensation, then they should be
able to be placed in a tiered lineup (B2, Digital Starter) like that of MTV,
Discovery, and History, not in the broadcast tier.

I understand the fear that the NAB has, it's called self preservation.

But the analogy of asking the clerk for the shirt at half price is just way
off. If I follow the thought process and the clerk would not sell it to me,
then I can skip the middle-man and get it free, straight from the
manufacture?