[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2005 09:02:46 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
 > They will get NO SUPPORT from the NAB, large station groups, radio
 > broadcasters, or the networks in this effort...

Then they are probably just doomed.  You would think that that NAB and
even the large station groups would be a good place to start though. It
has become obvious their interests no longer are aligned with the
networks in all this.  And I think it was the networks that originally
promised HD as the incentive to hold onto the spectrum for a couple more
decades.

But if even the NAB cannot be persuaded then I'm not sure what leverage
anyone at a lower level will have.  Does the NAB still really believe we
are going in the correct direction for their interests?  Or is the NAB
willing to put up with almost anything else in their dream of
multi-must-carry?  That might be a very risky gamble.

And, bye the bye, is it the NAB members or the networks that really
controls political advertising?  Where is the political clout here?

- Tom