[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2005 19:37:49 -0500

John Golitsis wrote:

> Perhaps it hasn't occurred to anyone else that if LG were to make the
> "world's most popular" ATSC receiver, they would LOSE the royalties
> they would have received from sales of competitor's units.
>
> I keep waiting for someone else to bring this up, but you are all too
> busy coming up with inane conspiracy theories.

Yes, the fact is that the current patent system often acts as a
disincentive to those about to implement and market their own patented
new inventions.  That is another instance of the law of purportedly
unintended consequences.  But that factor probably (hopefully) does not
dominate in most cases.

- Tom