[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 17:17:49 -0500

Tom Barry wrote:

> I believe in the functioning of free markets but that does
> not mean I really believe they really always work
> completely.  Or at least not enough to make a religion out
> of it.

A rousing AMEN to that, brother.

> There has already been enough politics in this issue that
> markets alone are certainly not going to fix things.

Every issue has to revolve around some point of origin. To
me, the point of origin here is that migration to DTT is
justified by the freeing up of RF spectrum that it permits.

So, both here and in Germany, that goal allows the "spectrum
manager" some amount of leeway. The spectrum manager in each
case determined that existing users of this slice of spectrum
must go to a DTT standard and stop using a more wasteful
analog TV standard.

Similarly, that same spectrum manager mandates different
modulation techniques in other parts of the spectrum, so
there is a well established precedent for such behavior.
I'm saying that the spectrum manager is some specific
entity -- not just "free market forces." Both here and
elsewhere, managing the spectrum is a deliberate function.

It so happens that the spectrum manager in this instance is
the FCC, the slice of spectrum is publically owned, and that
therefore politics will become involved.

So be it. Here and in Germany, OTA use being what it is,
the free market is begging the spectrum manager to MANAGE
already.