[opendtv] Re: HP and Philips to Begin Licensing Video Content Protection System to Manufacturers after Gaining FCC Approval

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 19:36:02 -0500

tjharvey@xxxxxxx wrote:

> If you recall at the Harris NAB stand I think in '98, William Kennard, the
> FCC Chairman pointed to a monitor extolling HD? It was in fact SD properly
> represented!

Certainly our local Fox station, which shows 480i SD re-encoded
as 720p HD is simply marvelous. Sometimes, not all the time, it
is hard to tell from ABC true 720p. I suspect that ABC sometimes
intentionally blurs their stuff.

And the Fox stuff is much better ... always much better by far ...
then the best DVD I have ever seen. It apparently was never MPEG.

Doug McDonald