[opendtv] Re: HP and Philips to Begin Licensing Video Content Protection System to Manufacturers after Gaining FCC Approval

  • From: <tjharvey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 15:36:00 -0400

Trouble is that hardly anyone has considered broadcasting true SD. Current DVDs
are better than most broadcast television because it is fully component video
sampled to ITU R601. Most of the stuff touted as "SD" quality is merely NTSC
quality.

To define the quality difference, consider this:

NTSC

Luma bandwidth: to 3 MHz (if your lucky).
Chroma bandwidth: 500kHz

SD

Luma bandwidth: to 5.5 MHz
Chroma bandwidth: to 2.75 MHz

Also consider the NTSC artifact garbage and the loss of diagonal luma
resolution through comb filter decoders, much of the so called "SD" you sees
today is really awful.

Maybe we can learn from our European counterparts who abandoned composite PAL
in the studio years ago.

Cheers,

Terry Harvey