[opendtv] Re: HDTV-compatible PC display interface emerges

  • From: Jeroen Stessen <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 11:21:06 +0100

Hi,
Bert Manfredi:
> Is this mostly a connector design issue?
> I'm not sure what UDI is trying to solve?

See also: http://www.tgdaily.com/2005/12/20/udisig_formation/

<quote>
Intel's Simon Ellis told TG Daily that UDI will be a graphical interface
"for the next ten years"
and offer the bandwidth to support current and next-generation HD devices.
"VGA is running
out of steam at WQXGA resolution [2560 x 1600 pixel], which is currently
supported by
Apple's 30-inch Cinema display. We require much more performance than VGA
can deliver."
Ellis said that UDI will provide at least twice the performance capability
of the maximum the
display market demands today. "We are looking at 16 Gb/s bandwidth," he
said.

High Definition is not just about higher display quality, but also about
content protection.
The UDI therefore will also include an optional integration of HDCP (High
Definition Content
Protection) to ensure content companies that their content is protected
from piracy.
<unquote>

The standard DVI (per 1.0 standard) allows only 4.95 Gbit/s over
single link and 9.9 Gbit/s over dual link. Many manufacturers know
that the single link could go faster, 6 to 8 Gbit/s, but the DVI 1.0
standard does not allow it.

Other things that I suppose are on the wish list:
- mandatory content protection (like HDCP in HDMI),
- more than 8-bits 4:4:4 resolution (RGB),
- digital audio (as in HDMI),
- cheaper connector (as in HDMI),
- dropping the analog VGA signal for good (as in HDMI).

So, my $0.02 guess: UDI will be a lot like dual-link HDMI, with
perhaps more bit depth and slightly more speed (more pixels).

The UDI site <http://udisigwebsite.org/> still says nothing...
Also this Silicon Image press release can not be found anymore:
http://www.siliconimage.com/news/press/detailpressrelease.aspx?id=340
Below the signature I have copied what Google has cached of it.

Best,
-- Jeroen

+-------------------------------+------------------------------------------+
| From:     Jeroen H. Stessen   | E-mail:  Jeroen.Stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx |
| Building: SFJ-5.22 Eindhoven  | Deptmt.: Philips Applied Technologies |
| Phone:    ++31.40.2732739     | Visiting & mail address: Glaslaan 2 |
| Mobile:   ++31.6.44680021     | NL 5616 LW Eindhoven, the Netherlands |
| Skype:  callto:jeroen.stessen | Website: http://www.apptech.philips.com/

+-------------------------------+------------------------------------------+

Press Release

Proposed New Interface to Bring Next-Generation Connectivity to PC
Monitors and CE Devices

SAN FRANCISCO, December 20, 2005 ? Leading PC and consumer electronics
companies today announced that they are working to develop a
specification, referred to as the unified display interface (UDI), that is
intended to serve as the next-generation digital display interface
standard for PCs and provide compatibility with Consumer Electronics (CE)
devices.
UDI is targeted to become the new display interface for desktop PCs,
workstations, notebook PCs and PC monitors, replacing the aging VGA analog
standard and providing guidelines to ensure compatibility with today?s DVI
standard. Further, as planned, the UDI specification will be fully
compatible with HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface), the standard
digital interface for High Definition TVs (HDTVs) and advanced CE
displays.
UDI will be able to use High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP)
technology widely deployed in HDMI-compatible products today. As a result,
host platforms with UDI connectors will be able to plug into monitors and
HDMI-equipped display devices including HDTVs with full content-use rights
management and high-definition video compatibility.
For end users, UDI will provide a universal video connection from the
computer host to the display, including PC and notebook monitors, HDTVs
and projectors. For PC and monitor makers, UDI is intended to enable easy
integration with both discrete and integrated graphics controllers,
letting OEMs build computer platforms and all-digital LCD monitors that
are lower in cost, easier to use and higher in bandwidth.
A Special Interest Group (SIG) of industry leaders has been formed to
develop and continue revising the UDI specification. Principal members of
the SIG include Apple, Intel Corp., LG Electronics, National Semiconductor
Corp., Samsung Electronics and Silicon Image Inc. Joining the SIG as
contributors are graphics chip maker NVIDIA Corp., semiconductor
manufacturer THine Electronics Inc., and cable and connector makers FCI,
Foxconn Electronics Inc. and JAE Electronics Inc.
UDI SIG members are seeking more industry participants to help validate
and refine the display interface specification, which is currently in
revision 0.8. The UDI SIG expects to have the specification completed
(version 1.0) in the second quarter of 2006.
Interoperable Connection to HDMI Devices
The governing body for HDMI, the HDMI Founders, supports the goal of
keeping HDMI and UDI aligned for long-term compatibility. Because the two
specifications share many elements, semiconductor and component makers
will have the flexibility to design products supporting both HDMI and UDI
for little extra cost.
?The HDMI Founders support the development of PC products that are
compatible with HDMI,? said Les Chard, President of HDMI Licensing LLC.
?We are cooperating with the UDI Promoters to ensure compatibility between
HDMI and UDI devices in the CE and PC industries.?
UDI is one of three platforms (including DVI and HDMI) enabled to use
High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP), which is the most
widely-deployed content protection technology for displaying premium
high-definition content and is supported by major motion picture studios.
This will allow UDI-compatible PCs, notebooks and workstations the ability
to display the latest digital content in various high-definition modes,
including those meeting new high-definition optical disc standards.
?We welcome this new secure digital interface with even higher image
quality. Technologies like HDCP allow exciting new consumer opportunities
by assuring that a diverse range of choices can be offered. We support the
UDI specification initiative,? said Chris Cookson, President, Warner Bros.
Technical Operations Inc. and Chief Technology Officer, Warner Bros.
Studios
?Next-generation content will drive new and exciting consumer experiences,
and UDI can reduce the technical complexity associated with this shift,?
said Eric Schmidt, group product manager of Windows Digital Media at
Microsoft Corp. ?With HDMI compatibility, UDI gives Windows-based PCs the
flexibility to be used in commercial or consumer applications by
interfacing with both PC and TV displays. We plan to support UDI in our
operating system platforms.?
UDI offers a number of performance and cost improvements over existing
display standards. It also will maintain backward compatibility with DVI
displays to pave the way toward completely replacing analog VGA as the PC
display interface. These improvements include the added flexibility of
accommodating proven high-bandwidth technology based on PCI Express and
HDMI?s Transition Minimized Differential Signaling (TMDS); use of a small,
lower cost connector with optional locking retention; and, ongoing
oversight of a working group that will actively administer and revise the
UDI specification to meet changing market needs.
The UDI SIG is consistent with other standard PC industry initiatives with
all adopters agreeing to license their essential IP on reasonable and
non-discriminatory terms.  In addition, core protocol and interface IP
(TMDS) is available on a reciprocal, royalty-free basis.
About the UDI Special Interest Group
For more information on UDI or to join the UDI Special Interest Group,
please visit www.udisigwebsite.com
Media contacts
Intel Corporation
Bill Kircos
1-503-807-7710
bill.kircos@xxxxxxxxx
Judy Pae
LG Electronics
+822 3777 7144
lgpr@xxxxxxx
John Lucas
Samsung Electronics
1-408-712-7856
j.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Paul Sherer
Silicon Image
Ogilvy Public Relations Worldwide
1-415-677-2715
paul.sherer@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Gayle L. Bullock
National Semiconductor
1-408-721-2033
Gayle.Bullock@xxxxxxx

Media Contacts:
Paul Sherer
Vice President
Ogilvy Public Relations Worldwide
P: (415) 677-2715
paul.sherer@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Kasey Holman
Public Relations
Silicon Image, Inc.
P: (408) 616-4192
kasey.holman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All trademarks and registered trademarks are those of their respective
companies.