[opendtv] Re: HD vs. 625 vs. 525 vs. 405

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:09:50 -0400

Terry Harvey wrote:

>The definition of Kell Factor is the number obtained by dividing the raster
>pitch distance by the width of the picture resolution elements.

No, it is not.  The common definition of the Kell factor is the
reduction in vertical resolution from the number of scanning lines
(although, in the age of fixed-pixel displays, it has also been applied
to the reduction in hirizontal resolution from the number of active
samples per line).

>Recall that system A was developed in 1935/36, before Kell and others
>discovered that the interlaced vertical resolution was not ideal.

Kell did his work in the early 1930s, before System A was broadcast.

I have extensively researched Kell's work.  I would suggest that you
look up the Proceedings of the IRE.

TTFN,
Mark