[opendtv] Re: HD vs. 625 vs. 525 vs. 405

  • From: "Alan Roberts" <roberts.mugswell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 13:20:28 +0100

I don't like spoiling a good story, but there are mistakes in this one.

ITU standard A (405-line) was interlaced. Line frequency 10,125Hz and 25Hz
frame rate, makes it interlaced. (I know it was interlaced, I watched it for
years and frequently had to repair and tweak our old 12" Marconiphone tv
set). Incidentally, the strange line frequency meant that total line
duration was 98.765,432,1 microseconds, exactly. I don't know if that fact
was crucial in setting up the standard, I suspect that the easy relationship
between line and field rate had much to do with it since line counters used
valve amplifiers at that time.

The earlier competitor for standard A, from Baird, was 240-line progressive
at 50Hz. The bandwidth requirements were similar. The fight-out between
Baird and EMI to set the UK standard before the war must have been an
interesting time, since there were neither cameras nor displays that could
do full justice to 405, but 240 was easy.

The Kell factor is nothing to do with interlace, it's to do with sampling.
Kell worked on progressive sampling, not interlace. The "interlace factor"
happens to have approximately the same value for most purposes, but is a
separate issue.