[opendtv] Re: HD DVR for the antenna crowd

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:55:41 -0800

Uncompressed hd is 1.5 gb/sec.  DVDs and HD-DVDs and BluRay are all MPEG-2
video, which by definition is compressed video.

Actually, "by definition" is a bit strong.  I have never seen any mechanism
in the MPEG-2 specification and annexes that would permit transmission of
uncompressed audio or video.  I'm only making the assumption that "no
mechanism" means "only compressed audio and video."

John Willkie