[opendtv] Re: Global standard

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 14:41:56 -0500

Mike Tsinberg wrote:

> I do not think Cellco's can mandate features on Smart phones except
> specifics of modulation and conditional access for their voice and
> data.

Which is enough to prevent "their" cell phones from being able to receive, say,
OTA TV.

We saw how long it took for the iPhone to become available over non-AT&T cell
networks, right? I can't buy a Verizon phone that works over the Euro variant
of WCDMA, for GSM service, or TDMA/EDGE for 2G GSM service. It's not a
technical problem. It's because it doesn't fit their business model.

> After all App Store have more than 25,000 apps now for all kind of
> functionality. There is no control on iPhone functionality outside
> Cellco direct connection.

I don't think that's it. I think it is that the cellcos don't worry about apps
as long as apps don't hurt their business model. Playing with piano keys on the
phone doesn't bother the cellco. Taking pictures or video doesn't either (if
anything, it helps!). But having a way to bypass Vcast, to get broadcast TV,
does hurt their business model.

Look at the two article Monty just posted, and you'll see the same mentality at
work with the MVPDs. Middlemen wanting to control content.