[opendtv] Re: Genachowski pitches his upcoming national broadband plan

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 07:08:32 -0500

At 7:20 PM -0500 2/27/10, Albert Manfredi wrote:
a) That is also true for big sticks. b) No matter how you try to rationalize this idea, you will always end up with interference zones between the adjacent markets, if you try reusing the same frequencies.

Correct. The difference will be the size (and location) of the interference zones. With big stick these interference zones can be huge - but this may not matter since much of the interference occurs over water or unpopulated areas.

I've had two very different experiences with interference zones.

I had a 50 ft antenna with a rotor when I lived in Alachua (just north of Gainesville) in 1979-80. At times I could pick up signals from 2 -3 transmitters on the same channel, although most of the time they interfered with one another so that none could be tuned in. There are Channel 10's in Tallahassee, Tarpon Springs and Miami. Most of the interference between Tampa and Miami is over the Everglades; between Tampa and Tallahassee it's mostly the Gulf of Mexico and a bunch of sparsely populated counties in the Big Bend. What I had a hard time with was reception of Jacksonville stations (about 60 miles) because of temperature inversions over the St. Johns river. There are TV station microwave links between Jacksonville and Gainesville that suffer from the same problem.

When I lived in Grass Valley California, I stayed in a cabin that looked out over the Central valley, some 1800 feet below. At times I could receive more that 20 channels from Bakersfield to the South, San Francisco and Sacramento to the west, and Chico to the North. At other times I could hardly watch anything because of weather and interference.

Bottom line, the big sticks send signals that can travel VERY LONG distances, and natural phenomenon are constantly changing the interference zones. Big sticks can still be used to cover geographically isolated areas, of which there are many in the U.S. - unfortunately they waste huge amounts of spectrum in more densely populated areas.

The article I posted this morning notes that only 17% of the TV spectrum is actually being allocated by the FCC and used by broadcasters. This is completely unacceptable.

What you seem to be missing is that when people tell you "big sticks must be separated by at least x hundred miles," if they completed their thought, they would say "in order to avoid interference zones." If you try to use the same frequency in adjacent markets, even with SFNs, aiming a transmit antenna AT BEST will only move that interference zone closer or further away from one of the two markets. It seems pretty obvious, Craig. The interference zone will not go away. Think about it.

Correct. But it will be MUCH smaller and the more local signal will swamp any distant signal on the same frequency.

Different subject, but yes, SFNs create more uniform coverage WHEN you are inside the pattern. No, they don't change the interference problem between markets using the same frequencies.

Not a different subject Bert. The same subject with some common sense applied. With lower power levels and carefully controlled emission patterns we gain SUBSTANTIAL spectral re-use.

Example. Replace a 150 KW big stick in Baltimore with three 50 KW towers around the Beltway. Do you think this makes it any easier to use the same frequency in Philadelphia?

YES.

Hardly, Craig. Chances are, you will get poorer reception in distant cities like Elkton, and you will have created a wide interference band between Elkton and, say, Wilmington DE. Please do ask anyone you trust who knows these things.

Not if the transmitters are properly masked. And there will be greater opportunity to develop separate markets between the big markets. Delaware is an excellent example. They are covered with interference from multiple markets today - with lower power levels and better emission control Delaware could be a separate market.

As to nasty multipath, what do you think the separate towers of the SFN create? SFNs only work when receivers can handle "nasty multipath." SFNs *are* nasty multipath!

In ATSC land this is true.

Properly implemented SFNs use the energy from multiple transmitters when signals arrive within acceptable time variations (inside the guard band intervals). The ATSC standard does not take advantage of this in either the high power or the new MPH modes. And the equalizers for a DVB-T implementation are far less complex and thus use less power in mobile/handheld devices.

Yes, and your point is?

That there are a very large number of markets in the N.E. corridor that have managed to squeeze into the existing spectrum, and many more sub-markets that have sub-optimal coverage because they are too close to major markets. With SFNs it would be possible to improve reception - especially for MHP devices - create more sub-markets, and still recover some spectrum for broadband.

How do you think SFNs would change this? The only reason the smaller markets can exist is that the FCC adjusts ERP and frequency use to prevent interference. Ditto with SFNs, assuming you keep coverage as wide in the existing markets. Which is where the 50 percent (or far less) utilization comes in. Now, *if* you were to change TV broadcasting to regional vs single markets, *then* I might buy your idea that SFNs would save on spectrum. All those smaller upstate NY markets, for instance, would not have to exist. But that also means throwing the "localism" mantra down the toilet.

You are simply wrong about this. With SFNs we would get more channels in more markets using less spectrum.

 The reality is that a properly designed
 transmission network would provide more channels
 per market using less spectrum than today.

If you are trying to aggravate with vague verbiage and mere professions of faith, the consider yourself having succeeded. I'm staring to think that the same folks who use the phrase "the reality is" are maybe those who also say "it's a well-known fact." <g>

Bert:

"It's a well known fact" that we disagree about this.

I would never assume that I have succeeded in changing your mind about this subject; the reality is that you are an expert in taking any argument and aggravating those who challenge you with vague verbiage and professions of expertise.