[opendtv] Re: Genachowski pitches his upcoming national broadband plan

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 16:38:22 -0600

Mark Aitken wrote:

> Let's see. Folks want spectrum...(lot's of wants, but never enough
> to grant everyone's wants...). In particular, they want the "700MHz
> variety"...
>
> Broadcasters have 200+MHz of it.
>
> The FCC is promising to make 500MHz of it available.
>
> Carriers claim to need 800MHz of spectrum. They claim is that the
> 700MHz spectrum is prime.
>
> How does one go about getting 800MHz of "700MHz variety" spectrum?

Details, details, Mark. We're talling broad POLICY here. We can't get hung up
on details.

I wish that knowledgeable people would get through to this FCC about "efficient
use of broadcast spectrum," instead of allowing the same tired old half-truths
to linger.

The simple fact is, if the FCC wants to make truly "efficient" use of the
broadcast spectrum, they need to change the TV market model. They need to allow
for much larger TV networks, that cover multiple markets, and then they can
think about claiming that SFNs could be used to save on spectrum. Otherwise,
just saying "SFNs" is meaningless.

Of course for that, nothing short of DVB-T2 would work. But that's sort of
okay, as long as the FCC understands what it means. It means that, for
instance, the CBS signal in Washington will be IDENTICAL to the CBS signal in
Baltimore, Phildelphia, NYC, Boston. The archaic FCC ownership rules would have
to be rewritten, most especially those dealing with national caps.

And all this localism hype would also go out the window.