[opendtv] Re: Gateway launches 30-in. "Extreme HD" 1600p display

Mark Aitken wrote:

> As to "wow TV"...just what does that mean?

In doing comparison shopping recently, I was surprised when I saw side
by side, TVs of similar sizes and resolution giving dramatically
different image quality. In trying to understand what was going on, the
difference seemed to be only in contrast ratio. The TVs with lower
contrast ratios looked dull. Probably the ones that looked spectacular
would soon wear on you, and you'd eventually have to adjust contrast
down, but still, the difference was striking.

The dull looking TVs seemed to have contrast ratio of around 1000:1 or
so, according to the tag in the store. Mine at home has 600:1, and I
have always believed that to be its biggest disadvantage. Dark scenes
tend to disappear way too soon, even when it's adjusted for the bright
scenes to be plenty bright, and even with black level turned up (meaning
less black, to make the dark scenes less dark).

I've come to believe that you need at least 2000:1, and maybe 4000:1,
contrast ratios for really good TV images. Not sure about this 5:1
figure. It seems like it must be referring to something else.