[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 07:56:12 -0400

At 8:15 PM -0700 4/13/05, Eory Frank-p22212 wrote:

>Even an offering like Freeview -- wildly successful on its home turf
>-- would fail miserably here. The fact that it's free is compelling.
>The fact that it's not the same "basic cable/sat channels" that
>we're all used to would make it uninteresting to most US TV
>consumers.

I think that Frank is being a bit too pessimistic here.

If I understand what he is saying, I think it is that 30 channels is
not enough, even if they are in the free and clear. This may well be
true, but I think that there is a number that would be sufficient. My
educated guess is that it would be in the range of 40-50 channels.
This is quite possible with a properly designed system, not even
taking into account the ability to push more content to PVRs during
off peak hours.

The dynamic that would upset the existing apple cart here in the U.S.
would be to make ad supported TV channels FREE again. If you could
get extended basic cable for free, it would set off a chain reaction
in the cable and DBS industries that would benefit consumers. The
current system is noting more than a bunch of oligopolies pointing
fingers at each other as they continually charge the public more and
more for the SOS.

If it has ads in it, the content should be free.

People will pay for content sans the ads. This should be obvious,
considering the fact that people spend more to buy TV/Movie content
than they do to watch the ad supported stuff.