[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:02:00 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> However, until LG releases that sort of proprietary
> information the only data points we have to work with
> at the moment are 1) There are at least 14 different
> companies worldwide that are willing and able to
> manufacture High Definition STBs for the Australian
> market, and 2) there are zero of those companies so
> far who willing or able to manufacture an 'acceptable'
> (i.e. Schubin-Site ready) ATSC STB.

Same thing, either way.

With only 15 percent of households depending on OTA,
and with no date certain set by the FCC, it's likely
that zero vendors of COFDM receivers would leap at the
opportunity of marketing a high quality COFDM STB for
the US market. Why should they, if OTA users are
content with NTSC? And why should they, if "Schubin
ready" means a return to fancier front ends (and
lower profit margins)?

So the question to broadcasters is this: what is the
path of least resistance? Do you get Congress to okay
the 12/31/2006 date *and* mandate a change to COFDM?
(Assuming that combination is even feasible.) Or do
you simply set the date?