[opendtv] Re: Fw: Re: Post on alt.tv.tech.hdtv of interest today

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 13:52:39 -0400

Agreed.

However, until LG releases that sort of proprietary information the only
data points we have to work with at the moment are 1) There are at least 14
different companies worldwide that are willing and able to manufacture High
Definition STBs for the Australian market, and 2) there are zero of those
companies so far who willing or able to manufacture an 'acceptable' (i.e.
Schubin-Site ready) ATSC STB.

So let's wait another 5 years and see of LG can fulfill their promise of $50
STBs when they won't deliver $200 STBs today.

John

P.S., I failed to do my homework.  Australia is using at least VHF Hi (6-12)
for their digital broadcasts.  So the differences between DVB-T for
Australia and DVB-T for the U.S. would be low VHF (2-5) reception, 6 instead
of 7 MHz channel width, and NTSC rather than PAL for the SD outputs.