[opendtv] Re: From Ed Reitan

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 05:41:25 -0500

Yes, I'm also waiting for after analog shutdown to fairly evaluate how well OTA digital TV works. ;-)

- Tom

Dale Kelly wrote:
Bert pondered:

I don't understand how one can experience the same marginal behavior
from all available stations. You'd think at least a few of the stations
would come in solid.

Perhaps full power UHF analog channels are corrupting the digital space
causing DTV receiver AGCs to reduce gain. Perhaps, in the currently very
packed spectrum existing in many markets, there are taboo channel issues.
Analog transmitters do not require the tight RF filtering mandated for DTV
transmitters and do sometimes splatter signal into adjacent channel spaces.
I've seen some ugly spurious stuff come out of older UHF rigs, where
obtaining clean RF output was difficult when new and unlikely as they age
and where maintenance is marginal.
Just some random thoughts.... and the likelihood of such problems goes away
after analog shut down.

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx