[opendtv] Re: French CSA mandate on DTT (TNT)

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 18:26:11 -0500

Cliff Benham wrote:

> Perhaps the CSA wants Free over the air
> broadcasting to prosper unlike the FCC.

Oui, precisement. Emphasis on "unlike the FCC."

For the francophones, this video clip is a very interesting key note by one of
the "Commissioners" of the CSA, Emmanuel Gabla.

http://www.csa.fr/actualite/interventions/rencontres_numeriques_2010.php

The topic is terrestrial DTV and digital radio (which they call respectively
TNT and RNT, where the NT means "numerique terrestre"), and its relationship
with TV and radio over the Internet.

He touches on a whole lot of topics we have covered here, but a few interesting
points are:

1. He says the business model for TV and radio over Internet is still unclear.
He mentions, for example, that YouTube and Hulu are now considering adding a
pay service. He differemtiates "catchup TV" over the Internet, which is
typically free, with VOD, which is for pay. He says TV over Internet has a way
of not compensating those that most deserve compensation.

2. Looks like in France, 90 percent of VOD is done over ADSL. Meaning, over
broadband IP, rather than from a cable system.

3. The French government also entrusted regulation of radio and TV over the
Internet to the CSA.

4. He says that HDTV will become the standard for TV transmission. They have to
figure out how to make it fit. And he looks at 3DTV on the horizon exacerbating
this situation.

5. Studies in France have shown that people at this point, anyway, want the
same TV network content over a potential mobile TV service than they get over
the TNT.

6. He believes that TNT and RNT will coexist with TV and radio over the
Internet for a long time, even because it is the only way in the foreseeable
future to guarantee access to all.

7. He said that in the FRance and in the UK, and he says "never mind in the
US," kids are on the Internet more than they watch TV. However, he also says
that more TV is being watched now than ever, and that more TVs have been sold
than ever. In other words, Internet time is not detracting from TV time. (Could
that be part of what's causing the obesity crisis?)

8. He also says that more TV watching is being done individually now, rather
than families around the TV set. (Which I don't find all that surprising,
especially when considering how much smaller the nuclear family has become in
western countries, not to mention how much cheaper TV sets are.)