[opendtv] Freeview NZ adopts MHEG interaction channel for hybrid services

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 17:34:08 -0600

Not sure why a TV would need MHEG for the purpose of receiving content streamed
over the Internet. I agree it makes good sense to include IP stacks in TVs
these days, assuming the content will be made available (which is not a given
here in the US anyway), but that's not what MHEG was intended to do, was it?

Or is MHEG-IC just another name for the separate IP stack?

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=3678

Freeview NZ adopts MHEG interaction channel for hybrid services

Freeview NZ has adopted the MHEG Interaction Channel from D-book 6.1 allowing
hybrid services to be provided on the platform.

Freeview NZ has used MHEG since launch on both its satellite and digital
terrestrial services.

Tim Diprose, Technology Manager with Freeview NZ, says, "We believe hybrid IP
and broadcast TV technology is the future and is also relevant right now. To
have high bandwidth HD mainstream shows broadcast via DTT and niche, catch-up
and other on-demand content delivered over IP really makes sense. The New
Zealand government has announced plans to roll out ultra-fast broadband to 75
per cent of New Zealanders and this will further support these hybrid platforms
and applications."

The MHEG-IC gives access to streamed on-demand video content in addition to
traditional text and graphics as well as the ability to support secure
transactions.

Diprose says, "By deploying the MHEG-IC we enable a more diverse range of
viewing options available on the platform and therefore encourage more consumer
uptake. It could enable viewers to easily and comfortably catch up on shows
they've missed, watching on-demand on their TV in the lounge (not from their
PC) retaining show/series loyalty and viewership, providing broadcasters with
new revenue opportunities."

DTG Staff 25.02.2010