[opendtv] Re: France bids farewell to SECAM

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 17:21:08 -0500

There were some 405 NTSC tests done at the BBC in the late 1950s but only in the laboratory.

Cliff

On 12/4/2011 5:17 PM, Olivier Houot wrote:
Sorry it seemed i jumped to conclusion too quicly regarding that 405
lines SECAM test. It must have been ABC UK, not US.

Le dimanche 04 décembre 2011 à 16:51 +0100, Olivier Houot a écrit :
I thought the color processing you referred to was just transposition or
division by 4, in order to bring chroma back into the limited bandwith of
the system, but without essentially changing its nature as NTSC/SECAM/PAL.
I doubt there is complete color decoding that would convert it to something
independant of any video system.

But if you mean native recording of the signal without any reorganization,
ok, that is another thing.

I read somewhere that SECAM recording was used at the beginning, and a some
point
they switched to PAL for archives. But i can't find any reference to that right
now.

Several sites mention that SECAM can be recorded as is on a monochrome VTR
provided
there is enough bandwidth.
Sounds logical as far as tape speed does not fluctuate too much.

This site mentions a 1 inch VTR that is said to perform equally well on
all 3 video systems :
http://videopreservation.conservation-us.org/vid_guide/5/5.html

One forum mentions early SECAM tests in US in 405 line format (!)
would need to be confirmed, i guess. But BBC did some early experiments with
SECAM, at
a time when their 405 lines system was still in use, so that may explain the
existence
of such a strange mix of scan format and color system.

http://missingepisodes.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=683&page=2

One thing i can say for sure is that the quality of many french archives
documents
that we get to see on TV is rather poor. Can't say if is only true for
one type  of archive unfortunately (PAL or SECAM).

Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 08:17:49 -0500
From: Mark Schubin<tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [opendtv] Re: France bids farewell to SECAM

A VHS recorder does not record NTSC, PAL, OR SECAM.  Color processing
is
used before the recording.  The same is true of V2000.

Perhaps I should have been clearer: Has anyone ever used a
DIRECT-recording SECAM recorder?  That's what broadcasters had to use
--
and COULD, in NTSC and PAL.

TTFN,