[opendtv] Re: France bids farewell to SECAM

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 05:14:08 +0100

Mark Shubin wrote:
> And how do you ensure that the multiple mixers track perfectly, so
> hue
> and saturation don't change in mid-dissolve?

I suppose general analog good practices apply, with periodic injection
of calibration signals and adjustment of potentiometers. Peter mentions
some nightmarish procedures to that effect so at least they seem to have
existed.

I would suggest inserting amplitude-calibrated pulses in the color
components at the beginning of the processing chain and using them at
the end to correct any imbalance that might have occurred on the way,
before removing them. After a color correction step, the calibrated
pulses would have to be re-inserted, as their ratio would be modified.
Possibly automatic correction could have been performed based on those
pulses.