[opendtv] Re: France bids farewell to SECAM

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 17:33:13 -0500

On 12/9/2011 4:38 PM, Olivier Houot wrote:
Indeed this was the era before component equipment. So it would not have been component at the beginnings of SECAM, would it ? Even triplicating the signal path (and i believe in that case you could opt instead for a clever Y + sequential UV that would use only two), would seem less complicated than using an FM demodulator, AM mixer + FM modulator, that's why i said component would have made things simpler.
And how do you ensure that the multiple mixers track perfectly, so hue and saturation don't change in mid-dissolve?

But i would be surprised that it was there at the beginning. Off the top of my head I would situate the first all component studios at the beginning of the eighties.
Pretty close. The first Type M machines came out in 1981, followed by Betacam the following year.

Or was that for digital components already ?
Analog was first.

TTFN,
Mark