[opendtv] Re: Format Independence

  • From: "Stephen W. Long" <longsw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 08:50:53 -0500

Dan,

An engineer at a major network explained it to me this way - do you want to
risk losing eyeballs (customer changes the channel) every time you go to a
commercial or come back to a program?  Since there is no guarantee
whatsoever that consumer equipment will properly behave when different
formats are received (my CRT HDTV goes blank every time the format changes
BTW), the broadcaster can only control his end - thus upconvert or cross
convert every signal to your base "master" signal.  MPEG-2 encoders and
decoders know how to recognize 24P material that is doubled (3/5) to fit in
60P, so very little bandwidth is actually wasted.

Stephen