[opendtv] Re: Forget 3D, Web-connected TV's the Thing

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:53:28 -0500

Dan Grimes wrote:

> Funny; just after I wrote the post below, I received a white paper
> about Google-TV:

http://connectedplanetonline.com/images/CONNECTIONS-GoogleTV-whitepaper.pdf

If I read it right, they are making the case that walled gardens are okay. They
say people want Internet access for TVs, but not for e-mail and web searches.
So a walled access that makes TV over Internet content easy to find is just
fine for Google.

Just as a FWIW, we recently bought a new LG BluRay player. It has Internet
access. I could have bought a somewhat more expesnive one that has WiFi built
in.

Why did I not?

Because the Internet access is unwalled in. It is just for a handful of sites,
one of which is Netflix. Yuck.