[opendtv] Re: Food for thought

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 17:18:21 -0500

Ron Economos wrote:

So for the BBC at 20 Mbps, they should be able
to get the same level of quality today at 12.8 Mbps
(assuming two 20% gains).

Stations now seem capable of transmitting one sports HDTV stream and one SDTV stream without undue stress. I'm assuming that a 4 Mb/s SDTV stream can accommodate sports programming too, although I don;t know if that's true.

If a 4 Mb/s SDTV stream can accommodate sports, then the time to consider updating A/53 with the available candidate standard for AVC would be when AVC, or whatever other codec, can reliably achieve HDTV in a range of something like 5 to 11 Mb/s, respectively for 24p and sports 60p content. In that case, you could transmit a 4 Mb/s SDTV stream along with the sports HDTV stream in a total of about 15 Mb/s average, and another SDTV program stream, within the 19.39 Mb/s channel.

If sports SDTV takes more than 4 Mb/s, the new codec would have to be that much more efficient. This would permit a transition to the new codec, without more spectrum and without disenfranchising anyone. And eventually, more program choices when H.262 is dropped entirely.

The Aussies, who must simulcast HDTV now anyway, might think of transitioning sooner, I would think.