[opendtv] Re: Food for thought

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 14:19:48 -0500

Bert,

To use your own words, Bert, the quote was so simple and straightforward I am astounded by this level of spin.

"These operated using the MPEG-4 compression standard rather than the MPEG-2 used in standard DTT boxes, allowing more efficient encoding of the broadcast signal."

Please explain to me what spin I should put on the BBC's assertion that MPEG-4 is more efficient than MPEG-2?

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

The quote was so simple and straightforward that I really am astounded
by this level of spin, John. Let me put it really simply: if the quote
had said, "One SD program in MPEG-2 can be replaced by one HD stream in
H.264," THEN the hype would have been justified.