[opendtv] Re: FW: USDTV Lands in Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:56:11 -0400

At 9:55 PM -0700 7/11/06, Dale Kelly wrote:
>             USDTV LANDS IN CHAPTER 7 BANKRUPTCY
>             TVNEWSDAY, JUL. 11, 2006, 4:03 PM ET
>             http://www.tvnewsday.com/articles/2006/07/11/daily.4/

No surprises here. What is interesting is that=20
they are blaming several issues that I have been=20
talking about for years...

The need for broadcasters to develop a=20
competitive infrastructure for customer service=20
and billing:

>            Lindsley conceded that USDTV had problems typical of all
>startups. USDTV has trouble with a new billing system and with third partie=
>who had been hired to install the USDTV system in subscriber homes.

Who can blame broadcasters for taking asvantage=20
of the infrastructure that cable brings to the=20
table.

>             =93The overarching reason USDTV filed for bankruptcy is that t=
he
>industry did not support the initiative,=94 Lindsley said. =93I would say t=
he
>industry is paralyzed by fear of stepping out and competing with cable. I
>don=92t think the industry right now is prepared to do it.=94

Why should broadcasters compete when they can get=20
cable and DBS to do what they cannot?

Better yet, with re-trans consent broadcasters=20
can take full advantage of the infrastructure=20
that cable and DBS (and now Fios) provide, and=20
make millions in additional profits. Lindsley hit=20
the nail on the head - the broadcast industry is=20
not interested in competing with the goose that=20
laid the golden egg.

What could change this?

1. A decline in ratings to the point that=20
cable/DBS can afford NOT to pay for broadcast=20
content.

2. Cable and DBS offer the content conglomerates=20
a better deal than local broadcasters.

3. The Internet becomes the next big thing in=20
content distribution, killing the Golden Goose=20
AND the broadcasters who feast upon those Faberg=E9=20
eggs.

4. Broadcasters get together and use "their" spectrum to compete.