[opendtv] Re: FW: Re: negative RGB (bit depths)

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 20:26:05 -0500

Yep, if you go back a bit that's sort of what started this discussion.

I was wondering if 10-12 bits would be mostly the same as 8 in the usual
cases where bit rate control would force it to be quantized to more or
less that amount anyway, but better when you have excess bits to code
transparency.

However it appears that 10-12 bits performed even better than I
expected, possibly for the reasons Craig explained.  But maybe also for
CBR because more bits could then sometimes be used on the easy-to-code
still scenes, improving average PSNR with the extra depth.

Generally it's convinced me that the extra depth is probably a good
thing when you can do it.

Is there any problem decoding 12 bit material with 8 bit decoders?

- Tom