[opendtv] Re: FW: Re: News: Experts question quality of local HDTV

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 13:14:54 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I beg to differ, regardless of the spelling.

Table 3 (now A-3) has always been part of A/53, but it was never adopted by
the FCC.

John, we appear to be in agreement.  Did I not write:

"The last time the FCC adopted the ATSC standards, it adopted them in hole(sic), except for the infamous "Table 3." "

But your confusing language also says the "last time" the FCC adopted 'the
ATSC standards', so that means more than one.

The last time that I am familiar with that the FCC considered adopting ATSC
standards by reference, they made A/65b (the March 18, 2003 edition)
mandatory. Even in that case, they adopted by reference MOST but not all of A/65, and they considered but did not incorporate Active Format Description
(AFD) in the then-latest version of A/53, despite the insistence of the
ATSC.

The current rules mandate A/52, A/53B (with our agreed upon table 3 exclusion), and A/65B, even though none of them are even available on the ATSC website any longer. (The current standards available at www.atsc.org are A/52B, A/53E, and A/65C.) There are no restrictions that I can find on either A52 or A/65B as you stated.

The actual rules read as follows:

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/13nov20061500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2006/octqtr/47cfr73.682.htm

Sec.  73.682  TV transmission standards.

(d) Digital broadcast television transmission standard. Effective February 1, 2005, transmission of digital broadcast television (DTV) signals shall comply with the standards for such transmissions set forth in ATSC A/52: ``ATSC Standard Digital Audio Compression (AC-3)'' (incorporated by reference, see Sec. 73.8000), ATSC Doc. A/53B, Revision B with Amendment 1 and Amendment 2: ``ATSC Digital Television Standard,'' except for Section 5.1.2 (``Compression format constraints'') of Annex A (``Video Systems Characteristics'') and the phrase ``see Table 3'' in Section 5.1.1. Table 2 and Section 5.1.2 Table 4 (incorporated by reference, see Sec. 73.8000), and ATSC A/65B: ``ATSC Program and System Information Protocol for Terrestrial Broadcast and Cable,'' (Revision B) 2003 (incorporated by reference, see Sec. 73.8000). Although not incorporated by reference, licensees may also consult ATSC Doc. A/54, Guide to Use of the ATSC Digital Television Standard, (October 4, 1995), and ATSC Doc. A/69, Recommended Practice PSIP Implementation Guidelines for Broadcasters (June 25, 2002)

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/13nov20061500/edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2006/octqtr/47cfr73.8000.htm

Sec.  73.8000  Incorporation by reference.

(1) ATSC A/52: ``ATSC Standard Digital Audio Compression (AC-3),'' 1995, IBR approved for Sec. 73.682.

(2) ATSC A/53B: ``ATSC Digital Television Standard,'' dated August 7, 2001, Revision B, with Amendment 1 dated May 23, 2002 and Amendment 2 dated May 19, 2003, IBR approved for Sec. 73.682, except for section 5.1.2 of Annex A, and the phrase ``see Table 3'' in section 5.1.1. Table 2 and section 5.1.2 Table 4.

(3) ATSC A/65B: ``ATSC Program and System Information Protocol for Terrestrial Broadcast and Cable,'' (Revision B) March 18, 2003, and IBR approved for Sec. 73.682, IBR approved for Sec. Sec. 73.9000-73.9001.

(4) International Standard ISO/IEC 13818-1:2000(E); ``Information Technology `` Generic Coding of Moving Pictures and Associated Audio Information: Systems,'' 2000, IBR approved for Sec. 73.9000.

One also needs to consider what table A-3 would have done -- straightjacket
broadcasters as to video formats, contemplate why the FCC excluded that
language, then contemplate the effect of the main video service language
you've pointed out in A/53e, factor in the new faces on the commission and
their attitudes, and handicap whether they are inclined to approve such
restrictive language.  Heck, even contemplate whether such an effect is
within the jurisdiction of the Commission.

I think not.

Or just bank on having A/53E included by reference, with the exception of Table 3, as the FCC has always done.

I think so.

John