[opendtv] Re: FCC on next gen CableCard

  • From: "James Cole" <colejd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 20:11:11 -0400

I agree, the PVR and TV are peers, just like the DVD/Blueray player. But, if
the conditional access and P/DVR functions were built into the TV, I'm
there.

Tivo and Arris's Moxi box works with cable provider's conditional access
platforms. Tivo does 8VSB and QAM demoding, all thou I don't think Moxi does
8vsb.

Currently, the STB is a requirement of any MVPD. It's the only way they can
insure secure delivery of content to those that pay for it. Congress
screwed-up when demanding across-the-board separable security. This was the
reason for the dreaded ADAPTER! But what other way would consumers be able
to use there new purchase across providers? It has added extra cost to every
MVPD which will be relayed to the consumer. Instead they should have just
required the ability for consumer to be able to purchase any brand of STB
and be able to use it with any cable provider. This requirement really falls
on the CE manufactures for the equipment and the cable provider to be able
to authorize it. Who cares if the box the cable company provides has
separable security? I don't as long as it gives me video!

But argument you present for the cablecard TV failure is that the consumer
must pay a lot of money AND that the cable company makes consumer owned
device's difficult to install by owners. I think that is misleading. The
cost of the cablecard device is like any other CE gear, expensive at first
and then when volume increases, cost goes down. Besides, I hung out at
BestBuy and Sears back when the cablecard TV's came out, not one sales guy
or customer talked about the 'difficulty of install' during the sales pitch.
In fact many of the sales weasels never even talked about the down side of
the 1st gen (one-way) cards (no VOD or IPPV). Boil it down. No one wanted to
give up the box.

Out in Chicago, Comcast is running trials of the Panasonic Tru-2way TV's.
These are the STB in the TV minus the DVR. It takes the cablecard (m-card)
for conditional access. The only real difference with this device and the
older cablecard TV is that you get the cable companies on-screen guide with
VOD functionality. If deployed in a Cablevision system with the network-DVR
service, you get a DVR!

Either way, an adapter (cablecard) is the future of conditional access. If I
was to buy a STB with DVR functions, Moxi would be it. But I don't need to
buy one.

FiOS and IPTV providers require that a STB be rented because those services
do not have a consumer purchasable device that will work on their networks.
Cable does. If those subscribers don't want the box or rent one from them,
then they should not subscribe to that provider, end of story.