[opendtv] Re: FCC on VoIP

I know quite a few folks running Asterisk open source PBX at home on an
old and crappy spare PC. They all swear by it, and wouldn't give it up
for the world. You just can't beat being able to use any kind of device
to make calls (PC, VoIP phone, etc.). And I haven't even touched on what
one can do if you know a little scripting (to say automated message
routing is an understatement) or voicemail etc. Set it up, pick your
provider, and you're set.

In fact, many of them seem to have caught Tivo-itus ('we must tell
everyone about this').

VoIP protocols are extremely low bandwidth, I don't see what the impact
is -- there is more impact on these networks from people downloading
porn. In fact due to the fact that packets are stuffed in the trunking
mechanism, two plus calls are exponentially less in bandwidth. Having
two calls going in less than 30kbits is possible.

And for your friends who have their own PBX running, direct connect with
no charge no matter where they are.

www.asterisk.org for more info.

Oh, I'd *love* to know how this could be regulated. The most they could
regulate would be to enforce a guaranteed uptime percentage across the
board for DSL and Cablemodem users. Anything more is madness, since
opensource is so widespread. If you regulate something that people don't
like, they will just change the code.

Sorry for getting off on a tangent. :)

Cheers
Kon