[opendtv] Re: FCC Seeks Comments on Bird Collisions

  • From: flyback1 <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2006 21:48:24 -0500

Didn't you get to read the article in the April, 1968,or '69 issue of Broadcast Engineering Magazine about the Watt Company's 'Bird-Meter'?

This instrument affords the RF engineer the abiliuty to measure the impedance and VSWR effects birds have on RF radiating systems
when they are perched on or near the antenna elements.

The instruction manual includes formulas for calculating the bird impednce variations according to it's wingspan, beak length and
how far it's claws extend around the element it is perched on.
A really great piece...

I wish I still had the original article, but it is long lost.
If anyone reading remembers or still has it, I'd really like a copy.

John Willkie wrote:

gee: fcc contemplating bird collisions with towers and concerned about tv
advertising for sugar-laden food.  It's hard to figure out which one of these
two is the least significant.  Here's another one: the amount of RF energy
transmitted into birds in the seconds before they die by hitting a radiator.  I
might even have to comment (in a very sarcastic form) to the FCC.

And, we're told that the republicans are in charge and they're following a
"Republican Agenda!"