[opendtv] Re: FCC Moves on DTV Channel Changes

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 14:44:37 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
The WWAZ request was actually to go from Ch 44 to Ch 5, at 25 KW ERP,
contrary to the trend. And they will also use two translators to fill in
their coverage area.

Where I live we have two high-VHF stations. One is Ch.9, formerly
analog WILL Ch. 12, now 30 kW, 303 meters HAAT. The other is new, a low power
"God's Station" (3ABN)  that was originally Ch. 7 VHF, went to somewhere UHF
analog
I forget the number, and has now reappeared digital on Ch. 7 W07DD.
280 watts, 152 meters AGL (we're fairly flat, but they are on a broad 100 foot
rise).

Ch. 9 is 25 miles from us, and
seems to work OK. The signal on my spectrum analyzer is flat as a pancake.

Ch. 7 is about 10 miles away, about 6 dB weaker on my spectrum
analyzer (same Ch.9 cut indoor twin-lead dipole antenna) and is
a bit weak, with only a 6 dB signal margin, ( i.e. a 7 dB attenuator
and it becomes blocky) but also works fine.
It comes in at 45 degrees from the antenna, and the signal
on the spectrum analyzer is seriously (about 8 dB) tilted
away from flat but does not seem afflicted by long-time
multipath. The analog Ch. 7 (980 watts) was unwatchable due to impulse noise.

Our analog Ch. 3 wisely decided to remain digital 48. They unwisely
(for signal, wisely for Nexstar's budget) remain with the
antenna side-mounted on the tower below the old top-mounted Ch. 3
turnstyle, which is still there.

Doug McDonald