[opendtv] Re: Europe now debates i vs p

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 10:46:17 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>Mark Schubin may correct me if I am wrong, but the 55% MTF at 27 MHz
>suggests that a fine black detail at 27MHz will be captured as a
>midtone grey.

55% MTF means 55% of the contrast ratio at zero detail (i.e., the whole
screen white or black).  Midtone grey will still be midtone grey.  Black
will be roughly half as far from that as it would at zero detail.  Of
course, bias may be applied so black is black and white is a midtone
grey or so white is white and black is a midtone grey.

> The lack of contrast will make it difficult to perceive
>the detail. For example a B& W herringbone pattern may turn into a
>solid grey pattern.

That statement is not supported by a 55% MTF.  The pattern would not be
solid; it would just have slightly more than half the usual contrast.

TTFN,
Mark