[opendtv] Re: EETimes.com - DVB ponders next-gen terrestrial DTV standard

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 10:32:58 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> You've said that before, but you've already determined
> that ATSC requires a double conversion tuner with a
> tunable front end filter, so obviously the cheap tuners
> in existing DVB-T boxes would not do.

Not "ATSC requires." More like, the transmitter configurations we have
in the US require this, or some other IM-taming technique and tuned
front end, to be as robust as needed for easy indoor reception in places
such as Mark's apartment. That seems to be the case.

> And you were shown a single vendor's chip that could
> decode ATSC and DVB-T so you assume that every DVB-T
> vendor in the world could adopt this lone chip, but they
> haven't.  So these vendors would have to change their
> board design to accommodate some version of an ATSC demod
> chip.

The CE vendors that care to play in this market can either buy the
decoder that permits an all-standards solution or they can replace the
decoder used in DVB-T with a similar part for ATSC. These are minor
adjustments in either case. The only tricky part in any of this is the
*demod*, not the decoder, and if they don't have the will to develop
their own good demod for 8-VSB, there are a number of good ones
available nowadays (Micronas, ST, ATI, LG, Samsung).

> So yes they could build ATSC boxes if they chose, but the
> only synergy they could leverage from their existing DVB-T
> boxes would be the case.

Not at all. I'd put it the other way. The only difference needs to be
the demod, and possibly the decoder would be slightly different, if at
all. Two chips, and the demod they do not need to reinvent. All the rest
is the same.

For a market of perhaps 70 million boxes total in the US, I would
venture this is not an unreasonable investment. To pretend that somehow
if we had DVB-T here there would be an overabundance of STBs available
just sounds like a fairy tale. If the US DTT market is seen to be
nonexistent by the bean counters, it won't be less nonexistent with a
change to the modulation.

When you consider what CE vendors already have to struggle with, e.g.
all the various analog and digital interfaces and copy protection
trickery that seems to change each month, it seems really odd to me that
anyoine would make such a big deal of the stable and well-understood
decoder designs.