[opendtv] Re: EETimes.com - DVB ponders next-gen terrestrial DTV standard

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 15:07:08 -0500

Kon Wilms wrote:

>>If the only problem is a perceived lack of interest in DTT in
>>the US, these bean counters will not change their tune JUST
>>BECAUSE the modulation isn't 8-VSB. They would continue
>>to make the boxes unavailable.
>
>Well the obvious flaw in this statement is that there are ample
>DVB-T boxes already on the market. From the standpoint of
>'global trade' this would work quite nicely. Worst case - if the
>bean counters didn't support rolling out STBs, people would
>always find a way to grey import or sell old gen STBs locally.
>One man's junk is another man's treasure..

Point is, Kon, all those boxes out ther wouldn't meet our requirements. Even
with DVB-T, we would have 6 MHz channels and 24/30/60 frame and field rates.
So DVB-T boxes would have to be built for the US market.

That's when the same bean counters as before would say, "Gee, there lets'
just move everyone in the US over to cable and DBS instead of 'investing'
what it takes to make a US variant."

As I said before, these same CE vendors that sell all those DVB-T boxes
could very easily *today* build ATSC boxes, if they had any mind to serve
the US DTT market. The differences are so small.