[opendtv] Doug is Missing the Point

  • From: "Stephen W. Long" <longsw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 09:08:34 -0500

Doug, you are missing the point.  With 8VSB you have to POINT the ANTENNA,
indoors or outdoors to get reliable reception.  With 8VSB we are back to
the early 1960's, where you had to mess with the rabbit ears every time you
changed the channel.

8VSB reception is so bad at my house I have the roof antenna pointed at one
station (NBC), and I have to switch to an indoor rotating antenna for all
other channels.  I have to "tune" the reception with the signal meter on my
Accuran box.  If you watch the signal meter, you can watch the signal fade
up and down continuously - dynamic echos are killing the signals.  I live
~20 miles line of sight to all of the big sticks in DC.  It is NOT about
signal strength, it is all about the echos.

Stephen