[opendtv] Re: Doug Lung: DTV Coverage Problems

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 18:37:54 -0400

Richard Hollandsworth wrote:

> Rabbit Ears provide both Horiz. and Vert. Gain response when
> forming a "VEE".

True. Which is, I believe, the way they are usually used. In large part,
because putting the arms down in the horizontal position takes up a lot
of room. So some vertical E field would not be bad thing for indoor VHF.

> UHF Loop Antennas do NOT have much in the way of usable
> Vertical Gain unless you tilt them over so the feed point is
> on the SIDE, at which point they lose their primary Horizontal
> Gain.

Good point. That applies to the cheapest of loop antennas, like the ones
connected to the 300 ohm terminals of old TVs. Our Radio Shack "double
bowtie" has two UHF folded dipoles attached on either side of a rotating
knob. In our case, I have to twist the knob to approximately + or - 45
degrees from horizontal to get reception of all channels. (A few
channels are more touchy than others in this regard.) Reflections must
be twisting the E field of the signal. So adding some vertically
polarized energy would work well here too, for indoor reception.

Evidently, that's what Doug Lung found in his real-world tests.