[opendtv] Re: Doug Lung: DTV Coverage Problems

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:52:37 -0400

Dan Grimes wrote:

> "The second is to use vertical polarization for the gap filler.
> This could be useful to reduce the gap filler's impact on outdoor
> antennas, in areas where the signals from both transmitters are
> weak."
>
> My outdoor TV antenna is horizontal and I believe nearly all are.
> Unless all stations use vertically polarized repeaters, it would
> require the reception side to have two antennas, whether
> constructed that way or one combined two separate antennas.

True enough. Although I think that Doug was positing that the gap
fillers were primarily intended to facilitate indoor reception or
reception with mobile devices. Either way, with some exceptions like the
Silver Sensor (or my indoor DB4 antennas), indoor and mobile reception
is done with antennas that are not strictly horizontally polarized. Like
UHF loops or rabbit ears.

He did say that in the shadow zones he had considered, an outdoor
antenna would have worked anyway. So the signal from the gap filler,
which potentially could have become a problem to high gain outdoor
antennas, was less likely to if vertically polarized.