[opendtv] Re: Dish Network Audio issues

  • From: Don Moore <donmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 00:21:58 -0500

Richard L. Hess wrote:

> I just put up an EchoStar/DISH Network 3-LNB monster and was surprised by
> the lower quality than expected of the audio: mostly intermodulation
> distortion to varying appalling degrees, depending on the channel and the
> program content.

The question is "What Do You Expect???"

Digital quality is such a misnomer.  Dish and DirecTV utilize digital
technolgies to compress the signal to the extent that they can transmit
as many signals as possible over as few transponders as possible.

Take note of the complaints of HBO HD's premiere of Star Wars, where the
complaints of pixelizations were so great, I expected USA Today to cover
the complaints.

Throw that dish into your TV's 3 Inch Speaker and you can be satified
with the masses.

One of the things that we have discovered (in Greensboro) is that our
HDTV earlier adopters have returned to the OTA Broadcast TV for quality.
  The shows may be crap; but it beats the compression issues of
satelllite  DTH every time.  Viewers who have invested in HDTV will
watch the programming OTA because it is there.

All we need to do is turn out a few quality shows and the HD DTH DSS
folks will return to watch OTA.

Don Moore
Greensboro